around 1940, Ewell Christian Brethren assembly had its first permanent home on
a site in Cheam Road Ewell Village, opened in 1955. It was called Staneway Chapel.
The origins of the name Staneway Chapel are not known, apart from the fact that we're very near a road named Staneway. However, Staneway is named after Stane Street, the original Roman road that passed through Ewell on its way to Chichester from London. Maybe it was this road that first brought the Good News of Jesus to Ewell?
Staneway Chapel flourished in its early years but then attendance declined and in 2001 the few remaining members of Staneway Chapel asked Cheam Baptist Church(CBC) to come to help them maintain an evangelical witness in the centre of Ewell village. By the middle of 2002 a team of four couples had got together and, with the blessing of CBC, transferred to Staneway Chapel taking on the day to day running of the church. Christmas 2002 saw the relaunch of the church with its new name – Christ Church Ewell.
In the early stages we spent time getting to know one another; part of this was achieved with paint brushes in our hands! We also refitted the kitchen and refurbished other parts of the premises. Existing activities continued and a Toddler Group and Lunch Club were soon started. Stoneleigh Crusaders started to meet on the premises. CBC supported us in numerous ways with preachers and musicians for Sunday services and the pastor and elders were available to support the leadership team.
We continue to have helpful relationships with CBC although for a number of years we have been financially and administratively separate.
We work together with other local churches through ‘Churches Together in Ewell’.
We have benefited over the years from informal links with the ‘London Institute of Contemporary Christianity’ and ‘Living Leadership’.